South Park rider hopes to exploit home course advantage in local BMX races – TribLIVE - Sports Rack

Breaking

Friday, July 2, 2021

South Park rider hopes to exploit home course advantage in local BMX races – TribLIVE

Thousands of pro and amateur BMX racers from all over the world will converge at South Park BMX in Bethel Park this weekend for the Stars and Stripes Nationals. And one racer in particular might have a bit of an advantage over the rest of the field.

Cameron Bramer, 19, South Park, grew up five minutes from the track and has raced on it for as long as he can remember. Bramer, one of the top riders in the country on the USA BMX circuit in the 17-20 age group, will compete in races Friday through Sunday in the Expert Class as well as the Cruiser class. He expects to come out on top on his home course.

“It can help a good bit because I know how to take certain lines on the track and how fast I need to go or when I need to pedal,” Bramer said.

He also knows he has to guard against overconfidence.

“I could see myself getting a little comfortable and not stressing too much because it’s my home track, but I’m gonna try and take things as normal as I would usually do at a race,” Bramer said.

Bramer’s mother Rhonda operates the track and is the matriarch of a family of BMX riders, including Cameron’s two brothers as well as their father. She’s been extremely busy leading up to the event with a little over a month to prepare for it.

The track is four straights and three asphalt turns. Rhonda and others had to make sure the track is smooth and all the obstacles are in good shape. She said they just paved the first turn about a week ago.

“That was a little stressful trying to get that done. With weather in Pittsburgh in June that was a little difficult just getting it prepped and ready to go,” she said.

But now USA BMX is taking over the track for the next three days and while Rhonda will still have responsibilities, she can deal mainly with the stress of focusing on her son.

“Everybody asks me, do I still get nervous for him? I do. It never goes away no matter how old they are,” she said. “Between their skill and their speed they’re going hard and anything can happen so I’m always a bundle of nerves when I’m watching the races.”

This is Cameron’s last push in the amateur class. Next year he moves up to the elite professional class where he’ll compete against more experienced racers including Olympians.

“I think I’ll do pretty well because I’ve been so hungry and so ready for that class,” he said.

But for now he’s focused on this last year of his amateur BMX career — including being on the victory stand for all three days of this weekend’s racing.

How much would it mean to him to capture wins on his home course?

“It would mean a lot. It’s my home town and I’ve been riding this track since I was a kid. I don’t want to sound cocky but I don’t want to be beaten on my home turf.”

Bramer also has a long range goal of finishing first in this year’s national standings, determined by the top eight scores a racer achieves in the national series, a tour of events in cities around the country. Last year he finished third overall in his group. This year he says it’s first place or bust.

“The goal is always to be first. I’m very competitive. Just like Ricky Bobby said in ‘Talladega Nights,’ if you’re not first, you’re last.”

Paul Guggenheimer is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Paul at 724-226-7706 or pguggenheimer@triblive.com.



from WordPress https://ift.tt/3Aqlqwu
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment